Along with jazz and abstract expressionism, the Broadway musical is one of the few uniquely American art forms. A companion to the six-part PBS documentary series, BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL is the first comprehensive history of the musical, from its roots at the turn of the 20th century through the smashing successes of the new millennium. The compelling, in-depth text is lavishly illustrated with a treasure trove of photographs, sheet-music...
- "Broadway: The American Musical" is an incredibly detailed, but incredibly fascinating companion book to the six-part PBS series. It provides the best seat in the house--likely crushed, red velvet--to the history of the world's greatest showplace. The book is sprinkled with rare images, anecdotes and Broadway lore. From burlesque to blockbuster, the shows that are highlighted reflect their times, cultures and creators. Treat yourself to this trea...
- insightful. book itself is awkwardly huge and difficult to hold.
- Really good book. Consult it from time to time.
- I love the book, but I really love the companion PBS program featuring over 20 of Broadway's top stars sharing the History of the great White Way! Awesome read too!
- Ok I'll admit it, I'm a huge musical theater snob. I've loved the musical since I was two or three and saw The Sound of Music for the first time. I have large collections of playbills and cast albums, and I saw the excellent PBS documentary that serves as a companion to this book three times all the way through. So I guess it wouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that I really enjoyed this book. It's not just about the history of the musical. It'...
- This is one fantastic history of musicals in the US. The only problem, the book is huge: so big you need a crane to hold it. Terrific information about the every musical: composers, lyricists, and writers, as well as dancers, singer, producers, directors and choreographers who made Broadway, the Great White Way. Hundreds of pictures both black and white and color. My son Mika gave this to me for Christmas 2009.Thanks Mika.
- It's a. Great book about Broadway it has everything that you want of Broadway in a book . It is simply delightful and it shows decades of Broadway and different shows that's we're playing during the time in the book . It has pics from old Broadway ( decades 30s -50s) . It's really is a guide to Broadway ! Overall it's great if u love theatre get this book ASAP
- What a wealth of information! ^.^ It made this theatre nerd girl pretty happy =)Only one Con...It may be finicky but the history lesson end at 2004 so no Spring Awakening mention. It made me a Sad Panda. What can I say, it's my favourite! ;)
- Fascinating study of the history of the American musical, very well-written.
- Great coffee table book and history of Broadway.
- Everything you need to know about Broadway is inside this book. Brilliant and totally enjoyable!
- I liked it, very informative and interesting even though I didn't think it was particularly well-written at times.
- Great photos and some cool stuff going in here, although I do prefer the PBS series.
- Great coffee table book. Had this as a text in my Musical Theatre History class. Lots of great info and pictures. The DVD series it supports is really interesting too.
- My beautiful and informative coffee table book about The American Musical.