This book is not a valentine. It doesn't have lacey edges or sugary hearts. But it is full of lucky rocks, secret hiding spots, and gumball machine treasures. This is a book about waiting in line and wishing for cinnamon buns. About recognizing that if you care so much about someone not thinking you care, maybe you really do. But wait—isn't that exactly what love is about? Maybe this book is sort of a valentine after all. A testament to handmad...
Details This Is Not a Valentine
Reviews This Is Not a Valentine
- A sweet demonstration of friendship that lasts all year long, not just on February 14th. And also a cute story around the theme of "thou doth protest too much"! This is a perfect story for reading any time, but especially around the Valentine Day holiday to help show that we can show we care in so many different ways, and that a "typical" mushy gushy Valentine isn't the only acceptable format. The poetic text coupled with the simple but charming ...
- Although the narrator firmly insists that this book is no Valentine with all the usual elements associated with that holiday such as glitter, chocolates, and lacy edges, it actually is a message of love. After all, love can be expressed in many different ways such as sharing a secret hiding place or a lucky stone or part of a sandwich. The wry quality of the text and the slyly matter of fact illustrations, created with brush marker, gouache, grap...
- This book is so adorable! I love how the words and pictures tell a story of a sweet friendship between two classmates. The words are perfect and the pictures complement the prose perfectly. I want to give this book to my husband for Valentine's Day!
- This is a perfect read aloud book for Valentine's Day! So sweet!
- Such a sweet and charming book! One of the other reviewers said it best - it's about all the ways that love can be expressed without typical "valentines" gifts and cards.
- This is a book about being friends EVERY day, not just that one day in February.
- I adored this charming picture book by Carter Higgins! I can’t wait to stare this with my students for Valentines Day. From the already blown out wishes to lunch box PB & J students will relate to the ways we show others that we care - but of course they are NOT Valentines. A must own for classroom libraries.
- This is definitely a Valentine's Day book, but it's also definitely a book for all 365 days in a year. The charming concept is that a boy doesn't want to gift a valentine to his friend, because his affection for her lasts beyond just one day or one symbol in a gift.
- While I think that it's a neat little valentine book, I don't trust that little readers will get the idea of the book. The illustrations are very nice.
- A sweet book about kindness and celebrating each other with the little things everyday.