An alien invasion comes to one man’s doorstep in the form of a story-creature, followed by death and rebirth in a transformed Earth.At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.
Details This World is Full of Monsters
Reviews This World is Full of Monsters
- But still the story-creature revealed Itself to me, until I understood that now It covered every surface, every space, and even though I thought I had been alone down in the basement among the rat-things and the other things I wanted very much to be rats and weren’t…I had not been alone. The story-creature had always been there, silent beside me, breathing beneath me, waiting for me to wake to its presence, to understand where I really was. B...
- DamnI loved this. So much going on that I felt I understood on a deep and strange level that's hard to articulate. Certainly open to interpretation and probably not gonna be for everyone. Still, wow. Trying to makes sense of a world as it changes in grotesque and incomprehensible ways right under your feet. I know that feeling.
- 1. “But still the story-creature revealed Itself to me, until I understood that now It covered every surface, every space, and even though I thought I had been alone down in the basement among the rat-things and the other things I wanted very much to be rats and weren’t…I had not been alone. The story-creature had always been there, silent beside me, breathing beneath me, waiting for me to wake to its presence, to understand where I really ...
- I have to admit, every time I read a Jeff VanderMeer book or story I am always left with the feeling, "What did I just read?" It's part of what makes his stories wonderful if you're in the mood for some speculative fiction and very beautiful, creative writing. I'm not always sure you can straight up label this story sci-fi or a person losing themselves to their writing or madness or all of the above. It's open to interpretation, which is another ...
- 3.5 starsThis is a strange sort of story, where a writer encounters a story-creature, which uses him to facilitate a sort of invasion, in which the entire world becomes one of the story-creatures' creation. And when the writer awakens a century later he is the only thing left of the old world, except not, for he has been changed in body and mind and memory. And as he travels through this new world he changes further, until he is ready to be launc...
- Harrowing BesutyThis is a wonderful book, in that it’s wild narrative relentlessly depicts horrific events and moments as strangely and thrillingly beautiful., convincingly... and evoking deep resonant themes of the nature of nature/ life, history/ timeline, and what is truly human.
- I usually like stories that have me all confused for a bigger part of of it but while this had a really good start, it completely lost me along the way and when it suddenly reminded me of an awful book I had to read back in school it was over for the two of us.
- This is one of the most bizarre alien stories I have read and I mean that in a good way. The way the world and main character changes over time was horrifying yet delightful. It's a quick free read, so if alien invasions are your thing, give it a shot.
- 2.5 stars. Very unusual, and exhilarating to read, but didn't quite do it for me.
- too absurd like a dream
- 3.5 Stars