Internationally bestselling author of The Time Traveler’s Wife, Audrey Niffenegger, and graphic artist Eddie Campbell, of such seminal works as From Hell by Alan Moore, collaborate on a wonderfully bizarre collection that celebrates and satirizes love of all kinds. With 16 different stories told through illustrated prose or comic panels, the couple explores the idiosyncratic nature of relationships in a variety of genres from fractured fairy ta...
Details Bizarre Romance
Reviews Bizarre Romance
- "Bizarre Romance" is a compilation of thirteen quirky stories written and illustrated by wife and husband team, Audrey Niffenegger and Eddie Campbell."Girl on the Roof" is a poignant letter written to a lost loved one. It is a prose story by Niffenegger with minimal artwork. This is in direct contrast to the beautiful panels drawn by Campbell in "Backwards in Seville". This reader enjoyed the "Secret Life with Cats" where a volunteer at the Happy...
- Bizarre Romance includes thirteen stories that were written and illustrated by Audrey Niffenegger and her husband, Eddie Campbell. Comics aren’t really something that I’m always drawn to, but these are not your typical short stories, or your typical comics. They’re unpredictably odd, perhaps a bit on the eccentric side, and there are some that leave you thinking. And there is some incredible comic artwork. Topics range from suspicion, to ca...
- Every single story in this anthology is amazing. These 150+ pages took me on a roller coaster of emotions and left me thoroughly satisfied. I want to thank NetGalley and the publisher for giving me an ARC of this book.
- Very strange indeed. My favorite was easily The Church of the Funnies.
- Before I get started, I want to say that I won this book in a giveaway!Bizarre Romance was super quirky and creative. It read like someone's dreams/nightmares turned into fiction! I was pleasantly surprised with the content of this book as it deals with more than just "love" stories and almost goes into the science fiction realm. Definitely a must-read for the creative and young at heart.
- ** I won an advance reader copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway. **While I enjoyed some of these stories more than others (My favorites were "Jakob Wywialowski and the Angels" and "The Church of the Funnies") I can't say that there were any that I truly disliked. Very well written and illustrated stories and comics turning love and romance on their heads.
- Given Niffenegger's publishing history, I knew that the stories in this volume would be unconventional. (Obviously, since the title says as much.) I enjoy a bit of subversive art, but I can't say that any of the stories or comics left me feeling satisfied. It was a jarring little book that unfortunately wasn't my cup of tea.I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my review.
- This was a very strange book and not at all for me. I give it points for originality, but literally every story left me with a puzzled expression on my face or a weird feeling in my gut. Did not like.