Prize-winning poet and journalist Eliza Griswold's Amity and Prosperity is an expose on how fracking shattered a rural Pennsylvania town, and how one lifelong resident brought the story into the national spotlight. This is an incredible true account of investigative journalism and a devastating indictment of energy politics in America.Stacey Haney, a lifelong resident of Amity, Pennsylvania, is struggling to support her children when the fracking...
Details Amity and Prosperity
Reviews Amity and Prosperity
- There were other impacts from the fracking boom and the Haneys were feeling them. Over the course of eight years, as Eliza Griswold tracks this family in this powerful book, they lose their health, their animals, their house, and their trust in just about everyone except a pair of crusading lawyers who tilt at the windmills of industry and the government agencies that should be protecting them.Amity and Prosperity is the kind of propulsive read t...
- My rating may be somewhat skewed because I was engrossed by the story of how a new extraction industry impacted the people I went to middle and high school with. Some of the non-sequiturs in the story telling annoyed me, but the writing captures what I know to be true about the people of Amity and southern Washington County. Amity and Prosperity lays out the real challenges and conflicts facing Americans in resource rich but economically challeng...
- A very well written book . I learned a lot about fracking. Certainly not as harmless as we are led to believe. The author did not beat us over the head with "science." Some of course, but the main focus of the book was about the personal struggles of those involved with this ecological disaster.I would recommend this book to others.
- Why do people live and vote outside their own best interests? Because, reality is always complex...even the reality of those who see things as black and white.
- This is an important investigation into the wreckage left from the fracking industry in two small towns in Pennsylvania.It’s a sensitive and compassionate depiction of innocent lives ruined by the contamination of water, air, and soil. In my urban insulation I was emotionally upended by the story of the illnesses that plagued three families who sold rights to a fracking giant then paid dearly for the small financial gain they received. I couldn...
- A fast read. Would be very accessible for undergraduates. Focuses almost exclusively on the legal case that embroiled these families. I would have liked a bit more attention to the scientific battles around the health and ecological impacts of fracking. Most of what we get on that front is filtered through the lawyer's research.
- This was a very involved and important book. The story of the fracking industry is crucial to making sure we don't allow this to happen in the future. It was very informative and enjoyable at the same time!
- Engaging and heartbreaking.
- Must read. Listen with a skeptical ear about the lawyer “heroes” but otherwise an essential way to understand what’s happening in our corner of the state.
- read this to get better understanding if fracking and the damage it does. such a tragic story.
- A small town in Appalachia a single mom who turns in to a brave activist who fights to protect her town her family and her neighbors from the dangers of fracking highly recommend an important book,#netgalley