Hugo écrit Les Contemplations en 1856 alors qu'il vit un exil politique (thème qu'il abordera dans Les Châtiments). Il vit aussi depuis plusieurs années un exil intérieur qui hante Les Contemplations. Composées de deux parties distinctes, "Autrefois" et "Aujourd'hui", Les Contemplations est la première œuvre poétique maîtresse d'Hugo, plus de dix mille signes jetés à la face de la mer et du ciel sur l'île de Jersey. Marqué à tout ...
Details Les Contemplations
Reviews Les Contemplations
- Les Contemplations is a collection of poems as enormous as its author, Victor Hugo.Everything is a little spilled pell-mell, adolescence, love, exile, separation and death. Life, what! Is there a logic in this din? No doubt in our eyes, we must take everything like that, loose, like a wave. Should we question the wave when it surprises us at the edge of the shore or on the tip of a reef?There are several books in this book. We are here to unfold ...
- Victor Hugo, I love you!! Les Contemplations and especially Pauca Meae spoke to me so much. The way he can describe his daughter death, the emptiness of the loss, the way he can't fill this void of his soul. This part is dedicated to his dead daughter Leopoldine Hugo, who drawn herself. He tries to establish a way to communicate with her. He speak directly to her through this book. The beginning is so dark, and we can feel that he is getting thro...
- I told you about Théophile Gautier, the 19th century French poet I love, (yes, I love him!). Théo venerated Victor Hugo which he knew, and Hugo venerated Théo. That's why, from Théo, when I was a child, I started to read Victor Hugo's poetry. First time I read it, was in a collection of poetry, the poem was:"Demain dès l'aube.Demain, dès l'aube, à l'heure où blanchit la campagne,Je partirai. Vois-tu, je sais que tu m'attends.J'irai par la...
- My favorite poetry book.
- I read this for school and it was mind-blowing. You really need to read each poem a couple of times to understand every detail and hidden meanings that could exist in the words.
- I totally love his writings !
- Actual Rating: 2,5 out of 5 starsSome poems were good. Some were too cheesy for my own good. But Hugo's writing is magical.
- Very sad but also militant poetry.
- Only Victor Hugo could make me like poetry.
- The best poetry I have ever read. Period.
- Actual rating: 2,5 out of 5 stars