"Crunk" is a Southern slang term that means "to get excited." It's about passion and having pride in where you come from. For vegan blogger Bianca Phillips, it's also about creating no-frills, no-nonsense dishes that warm the soul and keep rich Southern traditions alive. As she explains,the Dirty South isn't about cleanliness; it's about ties to the land and the hominess of passing on a rich culture of good food and good times.Plant-based staples...
Details Cookin' Crunk
Reviews Cookin' Crunk
- Lots of yummy recipes yet to be made, including many decadent desserts!So Far:~Memphis-Style Barbecue Sauce: 4*, even though I'm from Memphis I've been a vegetarian waaay too long to remember if this is accurate. However, I'm guessing it is because people really like sweetness down here.~Basic Cheesy Sauce: 5*, I think I've yet to meet a cheesy sauce I didn't like!~Ground TSP Beef: 4*~Tempeh Bacon: 4*~Cheesy Tempeh Bacon Grits: 5*~Sweet Potato Ha...
- I've been waiting for this book! Bianca Phillips' sense of humor and Southern roots shine through in this easy to read and easy to follow vegan cookbook. I'm all about Southern food, and I was really excited to see the recipes for vegan versions of Southern favorites. I've already made out a shopping list for some of her recipes. Peanut Butter Oatmeal Creme Pies? Yeah. That's happening. I can't wait.
- I haven't made everything in this book yet but so far, I love it. the recipes are easy to make and delicious and even nutritional information is provided. Delicious Southern food with conpassionate, fresh ingredients. A great find.
- I can't wait to try out a ton of recipes in this book. I'm giving it five stars without trying much out of here yet because I know how much work Bianca put into this over several years. Plus, I've had her cooking, and I know of her immense love for food. Food is her passion and raison d'être. I trust that the recipes are going to be true to the food I've been lucky to have that she's cooked. In addition to developing the recipes, she also tested...
- I've followed Bianca's blog for awhile and was so excited when her book finally came out, but since I got it I keep being sick (for awhile thought that was 'cause I was gluten-sensitive, which limited the recipes I could try), so I've only tried the Brown Sugar-Baked Tofu Ham with Redeye Gravy and the Yella' Cake with Fudgy Frosting. Both recipes were as delicious as I'd hoped! I look forward to trying more, pretty much every recipe sounds good.
- My fabulous friends held a party for Brian and me and made us a 4 course vegan meal. Each course they gave me a cookbook as a gift. It was the best dinner ever! The main dish was the "chicken" pot pie from this book and it was very delicious. I will definitely make it again.