Trust Joanne Chang—beloved author of the bestselling Flour and a Harvard math major to boot—to come up with this winning formula: Minus the sugar equals plus the flavor. The 60-plus recipes here are an eye-opener for anyone who loves to bake and wants to cut back on the sugar. Joanne warmly shares her secrets for playing up delicious ingredients and using natural sweeteners, such as honey, maple syrup, and fruit juice. In addition to entirely...
Details Baking with Less Sugar
Reviews Baking with Less Sugar
- I've been baking since I was a little girl because my mother refused to buy any sugary foods. So I feel pretty familiar with sugar, and I understand that it's not so great to eat. Since limiting it from our diets my husband and I have been in much better moods and have more even energy, since we aren't crashing and burning from our dead sugar rushes constantly. That being said, my mother's lesson exists in my life to this day, and I am loathe to ...
- Tried the Dark Chocolate Whoopie Pie recipe with moderate success. Did think the lack of sweetness was a drawback the deep chocolate flavor didn't quite make up for. Was much happier with the Pecan-date Shortbread Bars. Would definitely make those again.
- Great low sugar recipes I like ideas using low or no sugar. I use coconut sugar as a direct replacement for white sugar and haven't seen any problems. Great book for healthier alternatives to sweeties.
- a lovely (visually) book as one expects from Chronicle, but printed in China??? really Chronicle, did you have to do that? It would otherwise have gone on my wish to purchase list. Even though I just said it is a lovely book, the style is a bit too studied. It didn't quite strike true.
- This chef's books were suggested to me by one of the Cookbook Book Club members. I may have heard of Joanne Chang and Flour, her restaurant in Boston, but I had not taken a close look. I chose this title as a change of pace from other books we've looked at which included a variety of foods. What I especially love about this book is her introductory information about herself, her bakery and her personal life. She shares that her husband loves swee...
- Healthy and delicious The recipes are wonderful and mouth watering. Can't wait to try come for Christmas! Love to try new recipes! Thank you for less sugar as my son has trouble with it. I can't wait to pass on lots of your ideas and hints. Thank you for a really great book!!
- Some intriguing recipes.The name-dropping kind of threw me off.
- Add it
- Makes healthier baking seem actually do-able and delicious!
- Great cookbook with delicious sounding recipes using less sugar! Beautiful photos!
- I loved Ms. Chang's cookbook called Flour, but didn't like this one as much. It still has all the benefits of the other - beautiful photos, wonderful explanations of how baking works, and her enthusiastic descriptions of each recipe. But I was disappointed that it only reduces the amount of white sugar used, or substitutes other sweeteners in recipes. As someone who can't have sugar in any form without reactions, I wanted true sugar substitutions...
- Tasty granola recipe!
- For sure I want to bake a few of these (or have them baked for me).
- Definitive explanations & many worthwhile recipes
- I love the idea; wanted more (perhaps unfairly?) from the cookbook itself.