The never-before-told inside story of how Israel stopped Syria from becoming a global nuclear nightmare―and its far-reaching implicationsOn September 6, 2007, shortly after midnight, Israeli fighters advanced on Deir ez-Zour in Syria. Israel often flew into Syria as a warning to President Bashar al-Assad. But this time, there was no warning and no explanation. This was a covert operation, with one goal: to destroy a nuclear reactor being built ...
Details Shadow Strike
Reviews Shadow Strike
- In 1987 the Israeli Air Force (AIF) had attacked a nuclear reactor that Sadaam Hussein was building in Iraq. This was the only Iraqi try at building an A-Bomb. Though there was consternation against Israel at the UN, everyone agreed (but didn't publicize) that this was a good idea, because of Hussein's instability.In 2007, the Israeli's presented pictures of a construction of a building on the upper Euphrates in North East Syria. Syria under Baat...
- Important and informative This book is enormously important as it informs of not only the actual bombing and elimination of a nuclear reactor in a very hostile and unstable Syria, but also the political decisions made and avoided by so called leaders leading up to and beyond the event. As a US citizen I’m constantly disappointed by our total lack of leading the world. We’ve become nothing more than a nation of bureaucrats, hand wringers and w...
- I found the details involved in the decision for Israel to take definitive action against a secret nuclear facility being built in Syria fascinating. And this book explains lots of those details. So many aspects of world politics led to the final decision. Katz does a great job giving the background of all the main decision-makers involved, which brings the story to life in a deeper way.
- Certainly was exciting as to what would happen after the nuclear reactor destruction. Gave us insight as to the character ofSyrian leadership. Assad should not have become Prime Minister, maybe not even an eye doctorConsidering how uncaring and untruthful he showed he is. Next book ,the destruction of Iran nuclear facilities in a multi target Israeli operation.
- Gave this book 5 stars would have gave it 10 out of 10 excellent read a must read book for anyone interested in Israel and the middle east Yaakov Katz describes passages in this book that are page turners
- So much of this book seemed like the past is prologue.
- Informative and well-written/easy to read book on a fascinating and remarkable military action. Had the action not been done, the world may be very different today. Highly recommend reading it!
- One of the most chilling aspects of this attack is that this area was subsequently captured and controlled by ISIS. The idea of ISIS having access to vast amounts of material for dirty bombs is a birthplace for nightmares.